Please read in advance of the April 2 County Convention
A Message from Platform Committee Chair, Nancyann Leeder
Here is the final pre-convention draft of the Washoe County Democratic Platform from the platform committee.
It is the product of months of work by 24 volunteers. We tried to cover the issues we all consider important.
Please read it carefully before the convention. If you seek an amendment, bring it in writing to the platform committee meeting during convention before the time set on the agenda for floor passage. Then be prepared to vote on this platform as amended and shown on screen to the delegates on the floor.
Rules for Platform Discussion at the Convention
II-I. RULES GOVERNING ADOPTION OF THE PLATFORM
Procedures for the Platform Committee:
1. The Platform Committee shall be composed of registered Washoe County Democrats with a Chairperson appointed by the Chairperson of the Washoe County Party.
2. The Platform Committee shall meet as necessary prior to the county convention to draft an initial Platform and approve or reject any resolutions submitted by the precinct caucuses. All votes shall be by simple majority for approval. All of these meetings shall be open to any registered Democrat to attend; however, the Committee does not have to allow any non-member to speak or give input. Persons with a particular interest in the Platform are encouraged to attend Platform Committee meetings.
3. At the county convention, the initial draft Platform shall be presented by on screen viewing or other means as determined by the Platform Committee Chair.
4. Any Delegate may submit amendments for the initial draft Platform (meaning changes, deletions or additions) to the Platform Committee. All amendments shall be submitted the day of the convention by 11:30 am. Each amendment shall be considered by the Committee with a simple majority vote. The Chair of the Platform Committee may limit debate due to time constraints.
5. At the conclusion of voting on any amendments the Platform Committee shall submit a revised draft platform to the convention for adoption.
Procedures for adopting the platform at county convention:
1. Amendments not approved by the Platform Committee may be brought before the convention with the signatures of twenty-five (25%) percent of the seated convention Delegates in support of the amendment. These signatures must be confirmed by the Credentials Committee. Amendments not submitted to the Platform Committee may not be brought to the floor under any circumstances.
2. Any amendment that comes to the floor must be approved by an up-or-down vote.
3. The Platform committee chair will call for a vote of the convention upon planks proposed by the Platform committee for which no amendment is sought. Majority vote approves these planks. Then, any amendments sought and previously considered by the platform committee or by 25% attendee signatures as approved by the credentials committee, may be raised and voted upon by the convention delegates. A majority vote in favor of passage will operate to include that plank in the platform.
4. The revised Platform shall be re-submitted to the Convention for a final majority vote with no further floor date.
5. The adoption of the Platform shall be by a majority of the Delegates remaining in the Hall, without regard to quorum.
6. If any spelling or grammar changes need to be made, the Platform Committee will make those changes in the final completion of the platform after Convention. Such changes are not reason for raising an amendment.